For over 150 years, the garrets, pubs and clubs of Soho have been, according to Jeffrey Bernard, ‘a lifeboat of sorts for the deserters from convention’. This book celebrates those whose style, irregular work patterns, love of intoxicants and unconventional sexual mores shaped the city, and the world, we know today.
- For fans of BBC Four's How to be Bohemian with Victoria Coren Mitchell.
- Large and enduring interest in the gamier side of the capital's past, and in Oscar Wilde, Francis Bacon, etc.
- Packed full of controversial characters and outrageous behaviour.
- Will appeal to those interested in history and alternative culture.
- Will also appeal to anyone interested in drunks, drug addicts, prostitutes, books, painting or poetry.